Gluten-Free Banana Muffin Recipe for Kids
From Kathlena: These gluten-free banana muffins are so much more than a healthy (and tasty!) snack because cooking and baking isn’t just about the final product. Rather, it’s about the journey, the feeling, the aroma, textures, colors, and so much more. When I first opened the Healthy Height Vanilla Shake Mix, I couldn’t help but be drawn to place of happiness, as it smelled of yellow cake mix from my childhood. Our main taste tester agreed with me, and we are both firmly convinced that Healthy Height Vanilla Shake Mix is basically a cake shake for kids, making it an amazing product indeed.
When working with Healthy Height Shake Mix, we had so many ideas on how to incorporate it into everyday life (and into some awesome desserts too—looking at you chocolate frosting). Banana Muffins, along with other muffin flavors, are a great way to feed your kiddos (and yourself) with a healthy snack on the go. If you enjoy meal prep days, you could easily whip out a few different flavors of Healthy Height Muffins and freeze them for weekday breakfasts.
Unlike many store-bought muffins, these are sweetened with maple syrup rather than refined sugars. They’re also gluten free and allergy friendly, meaning you can serve them without worrying about the nutritional value of your child’s meal. If you’re already salivating, get ready to whip up a batch of these gluten-free banana muffins!
Allergy Status: Wheat/Gluten Free, Egg Free, Soy Free, Nut Free, Peanut Free, Yeast Free, Sesame Free, Legume Free, Nightshade Free, Allium Free, Diabetic Friendly, Vegetarian
Prep & Serving Size:
25 - 30 minutes
Makes 18 muffins
- 4 large Bananas (20 Ounces)
- 504g Healthy Height Vanilla Powder (12 Servings)
- 6 ounces Organic Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Organic Vanilla Extract
- 210g Organic Oat Flour (1.5 cups packed)
- 30g Arrowroot (1/4c)
- 4 TBSP Golden Flax Meal
- 1.5 tsp Organic Lemon Juice
- 3/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Banana for Garnish
- Organic Maple Sugar for Garnish
- Start by smashing your bananas. While you can do this with a fork, we recommend a hand mixer or stand mixer with the wire attachment (electric mixers will yield a smoother result).
- Next, add your maple syrup, lemon juice, and flax, and mix again. Once these are well incorporated, add all of the other ingredients and mix again until you have a smooth batter.
- Use a large cookie dough scooper (or ice cream scooper) to portion out your batter into a standard 12 cavity muffin pan with liners. We love using parchment paper liners for our muffins to make release a breeze.
- Optionally, top your muffins with fresh banana slices and a sprinkle of organic maple sugar before baking. Bake your muffins at 325 degrees for 24 to 28 minutes.
- We suggest storing these muffins frozen for up to 4 months. You can thaw them overnight in the fridge, or on the countertop for about an hour. You can also store your batter in the fridge for several days and make muffins as needed.
- Top these with glaze! We tried these muffins with a banana and maple topping, as well as a chocolate glaze topping—yum! To make a glaze, we combined Healthy Height Chocolate Shake Mix with a little water, and used a piping bag. We made our glaze a little thick so it wouldn’t drip too much.
- Experiment with more toppings such as dried blueberries or crushed freeze dried strawberries. Be sure to have little ones help, as topping muffins can be a lot of fun.
- Calories: 240
- Total Fat: 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat: .76 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg
- Sodium: 131.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 40 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.7 g
- Total Sugars: 18.1 g
- Inc. Added Sugar: 2 g
- Protein: 10.2 g
- Calcium: 153.7 mg
- Iron: 3.8 mg
- Potassium: 178 mg
- Vitamin C: 6.6 mg
- Vitamin A: 33.3 mcg RAE
Nutrition to Help Kids Grow - and Sleep!
Every year our team of Pediatricians at Schneider Children's Medical Center have 20,000 visits from children with issues relating to growth. Our doctors wanted to find a non-invasive way to help children grow and the nutrition in our shake mix is the result of their efforts. The nutrition in our shake mix was shown in a clinical study to promote growth in 6 months, as well as improve sleep patterns in kids who take at least 1 serving per day.