7 weekend tips to make your week easier as a parent
You did it, you made it through another week, way to go! The weekend is here and it’s time to spend some quality time with the family and also squeeze in a little R&R. Before we know it Sunday rolls around and there’s so much to do. How did this happen again? It was just Friday, wasn’t it? It happens to the best of us, but no more!
Let’s countdown the 7 things to do on Sunday to make your week easier as a parent.
- Meal-prep, but not the kind that takes all day. There are those who love to spend hours in the kitchen prepping food. Then there’s the rest of us. With the right plan you can get meals prepped for the week in no time at all. Have you heard about LOOP meals-- Leftovers on purpose. Authors of Overwhelmed: How to Quiet the Chaos and Restore Your Sanity , Kathi Lipp and Cheri Gregory recommend making a double portion of dinner, then using it for other meals throughout the week. For example a roasted chicken on Sunday becomes shredded chicken tacos for taco Tuesday.
- Take inventory. There’s nothing worse than running to the pantry for an ingredient to find that you’re all out. It’s even worse if you’ve got food cooking away in the oven or on the stove. Taking inventory of what you need for the week will make your life so much easier and relieve you from having to stop what you’re doing and run out to the store.
- Plan their outfits. Now we’re not saying you have to have everything from top to bottom completely thought out, but having a rough idea of what your kids have to wear for a week makes mornings so much easier. You also don’t have to plan a full week's worth, prep Monday-Wednesday’s outfits on Sunday and then on Wednesday evening pull Thursday and Friday.
- Snack prep. This is one you don’t want to miss. Having snacks prepped and ready to go can be a real lifesaver and is a great tip to make your week easier as a parent. Toss some fresh fruit into containers, put mixed nuts into (reuseable) bags and you’re set. Added bonus if you dedicate a shelf to snacks so kids can help themselves.
- Plan ahead. Filling out a family calendar or planner on Sunday night brings all of your weekly to-do’s right to the top of your mind. You won’t forget about that dentist appointment or a parent teacher conference. It doesn’t have to be all work and no play, add in the things you’re excited about, a morning walk with the kids, a visit to grandma's house, anticipation is actually a happiness trigger.
- Let the kids help. This is a great way to get your kids to take ownership of their week. Maybe they pick out what clothes they want to wear for the week and arrange them in a dedicated spot. Get them to help with packing their own snacks, this will also get them excited for their healthy snacks for the week. Need some snack ideas? We’ve got you covered.
- Do a quick clean Trust us on this one, taking the time to do a quick clean on Sundays really does make your week easier as a parent. Turn it into a family event! Set the timer for 30 minutes, give everyone an area to clean, on your mark get set go! See how much you can get done in 30 minutes and when the timer goes off celebrate with a special snack.
Whatever you do, don’t leave it all for Sunday evening. Yes, we did just give you 7 tips to tackle over the weekend but that doesn’t mean starting them on Sunday night. We also want to remind you that you don’t have to save all of these just for the weekend. It’s all about finding what works for your family, maybe Friday nights are actually better for taking inventory of your pantry because you shop on the weekends. We hope these 7 tips will help to make your week easier as a parent.
Keep in touch! Share all of your weekend tips for successful weeks with us on social.